FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (SUBJECT TO ARRANGEMENT WITH AIRLINK PRIOR TO DEPARTURE)
South African Laws prohibit the carriage of firearms and ammunition in checked or cabin baggage of a passenger. These firearms and ammunition must be produced to security staff for the correct handling. A maximum weight of 5kg of ammunition may be transported. As of 01 November 2007, no hand weapons (small-arms, handguns i.e. pistols/revolvers) will be accepted or may be transported on any Airlink aircraft. However, hunting rifles, shotguns, sporting firearms and hunting handguns may be transported as checked baggage, the following rules for the countries below must be adhered too:
- South Africa
- Cape Town / Durban / East London / Hoedspruit / OR Tambo International, Johannesburg / Pietermaritzburg / Polokwane / Port Elizabeth / Phalaborwa / Nelspruit (Kruger International) / Sishen / Mthatha / Upington.
- Kimberley - Note a ZAR 200 for loading and ZAR 200 for off-loading per hunting rifle and shotgun. No fee to be paid for service in Cape Town or Johannesburg, only in Kimberley and Richard's Bay.
- Richards Bay - Note a ZAR 350 for loading and ZAR 350 for off-loading per hunting rifle and shotgun. No fee to be paid for service in Cape Town or Johannesburg, only in Kimberley and Richards Bay.
- Bloemfontein - any firearms prohibited from transporting
- Skukuza - Station Manager MUST be advised.
- George - any firearms prohibited from transporting
- Nosy By - any firearms prohibited from transporting
- Beira / Nampula / Maputo / Pemba / Tete / Vilanculos
- Windhoek / Walvis Bay - Hunting Rifles may ONLY be transported.
- Swaziland - (Eswantini)
- St Helena
- St Helena Island / Ascension Island - any firearms prohibited from transporting
- Livingstone / Lusaka / Ndola
- Bulawayo / Harare
- Victoria Falls - Hunting Rifles may ONLY be transported.
Rifles and shotguns will not be accepted as Checked Baggage, unless approved no less than three (3) working days prior to departure through AIRLINK Reservations Control Tel +27 11 451 7350. Rifles must be unloaded with the safety catch on, and suitably packed and accompanied by all documents legally required by the countries of departure, destination and any stopovers. Only five (5) kilograms of ammunition is allowed per Passenger. Ammunition will never be carried in the cabin or flight deck of the aircraft. Ammunition must be packed separately and securely from the firearm case.
Weapons such as antique firearms, swords, knives, toy or replica guns, bows and arrows and similar items may be accepted as Checked Baggage only at the airline's discretion. This is subject to prior approval and will not be permitted in the cabin or flight deck of the aircraft.
AIRLINK will have no liability or responsibility where any item accepted is removed from Checked Baggage and/or retained or destroyed by security personnel, government officials, airport officials, police or military officials or other airlines involved in the carriage of a Passenger.